Be informed about our recent events and activities.
Max’s opens at Island City Mall
The famous Max’s Restaurant, known for its delicious, tender juicy and crispy fried chicken since 1945, opened last July 28 its 191st store here in Tagbilaran City, located at the Upper Ground Level of Island City Mall.
Since the grand opening, food craving Boholanos are already enjoying the restaurant’s signature dish, the Max’s fried chicken, as well as its traditional Filipino dishes like kare-kare, adobo, kalderita, nilagang baka, pork sinigang, crispy pata, fish fillet, pancit, lumpia, pinakbet, chopsuey, litson kawali and more.
Mayor John Geesnell “Baba” Yap led the ribbon-cutting ceremony after the store blessing last July 27, attended by Max’s regional manager Joe Arada; Alturas Group of Companies big boss, Mr. Marlito C. Uy, and the other incorporators; together with Atty. and Mrs. Warren Yap and family, and the store manager of Max’s here at Island City Mall, Jocelyn Egos.
It was in 1945 when Max’s Restaurant started after Stanford-educated teacher Maximo Gimenez befriended the American occupation troops stationed at Quezon City who regularly visited his nearby home for a drink. This prompted him to open a restaurant where the soldiers could enjoy foods and drinks.
Together with his wife Mercedes and his sister in law, Maximo initially served chicken, steak and drinks. But his niece, Ruby, who managed the kitchen, created a special recipe for chicken that became an instant favorite for the GIs. It was so delicious that they kept on coming back for more.
When the Filipinos heard about the tasty chicken, they also flocked to the small restaurant and thus, the first Max’s Restaurant was born at 21 South F. Street, now Scout Tuason, in Brgy. Laging Handa, Quezon City.
Soon enough, it became a legend. Encouraged by her mother to expand the menu and serve more Filipino food, Ruby set up another restaurant along Roxas Boulevard in Baclaran. It was decided that the restaurant would be named “Max’s”, which was Maximo’s nickname.
Over the years, Max’s Restaurant’s popularity grew and it became known as “the house that fried chicken built.” It has expanded in Metro Manila, Southern and Northern Luzon, Cebu, and to California and other places in the United States. It has also expanded to Canada, the Middle East, with plans of opening restaurants to other countries.
Max’s Restaurant has established itself as a household name in the Philippines, an institution, and a proud Filipino tradition. The second and third generations of the family continue to zealously uphold the standards and traditions set by Maximo and Ruby for all Max’s Restaurants.
MAX’S RESTAURANT. Tagbilaran City Mayor John Geesnell “Baba” Yap (middle), together with Atty. Warren Yap (left) and Max’s Restaurant Regional Manager, Mr. Joe Arada (right), cuts the ceremonial ribbon after the store blessing last July 27. At the back is Chickie Boy, the official mascot of Max’s.
Alturas Group of Companies (AGC) is a forerunner in the development of Bohol’s vibrant economy, now on it’s 33rd year of dedicated service to the Boholanos and the Visayan region, from retail to agri business.
Career CenterThe Human Resource department is committed to serve the organization by maximizing the potential of each employee. We embrace change. We are focused on delivering excellent customer service, thus, we commit to recruit, develop, reward and retain our workforce.
Get In Touch
Upper Ground, North Wing Island City Mall, Tagbilaran City, Bohol 6300
Tel +6338 501-3000 – 10, +6338 412 1065 – 67
Fax +6338 501 3030